Cookies. Isn’t that a word that is synonymous with the holidays? We definitely think so. I think we make more cookies during the holidays from mid November to mid December then we make the rest of the year combined. So we are always looking for new cookie recipes to try and have fun making.
This year we tried a new Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cookie throw together than turned out great so we thought we would share it, in case you are looking for something new to add to your homemade cookie recipe list. Hope you like it!
- 1 stick butter (unsalted and softened)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 medium egg
- ¼ tsp peppermint extract (can add more or less to taste)
- 1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 candy cane (finely crushed)
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips (you can use semisweet if you don’t like dark)
- Preheat over to 350 degrees F
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together for about 2 minutes. Add egg and peppermint extract and beat together until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add flour, salt, cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder to a sifter and sift gradually over the wet ingredients. Mix well.
- Add chocolate chip. Stir with mixing spoon until blended in. Chill in the freezer for approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Take approximately 1 Tbsp of dough and roll into small ball. Place 1 ½ inches apart on ungreased baking sheet (or on parchment paper). Repeat with rest of dough.
- Press the tops of the dough balls down with thumb or spoon and top with chocolate chips. (This is optional.)
- Bake for 10-12 minutes (edges will be cooked but tops will look soft)
- Sprinkle with crushed candy canes immediately.
- Let set on cookie sheet for approximately 5 minutes.
- Place on cooling rack until completely cooled. Store in airtight container or freeze for several weeks.
Hope you like these. If you make them, please be sure to let me know. I would love to hear if you change the recipe. Or share your favorite cookie recipe below. And Merry Christmas!