This year we are following the Higher Up and Further In (HUFI) curriculum, which is a Charlotte Mason education available for you to follow for free on their website.
Each term we will be covering an artist on in artist study. This is our first year doing an artist study and we are following along with the Ambleside Online artist study plan. We are starting with Pierre-Auguste Renoir.
There are some great prints available on the Ambleside Online website that I used and had printed at my local copy store on cardstock. It made them look fantastic!
I have decided to have three Renior pictures hanging each week in our homeschool room and rotate them each week from our Art binder to the wall. We have 6 total that I printed out. Each week we do the following, in the spirit of following the Charlotte Mason approach to an artist study.
- We have the printed pictures of the artists work accessible and posted for viewing in our homeschool room.
- Each week we talk about one of the works (i.e. the name, the year, the time period and read something about the artist)
- Once during the term we do our imitation of one of his works
- Once during the term we read the artists biography
- Once during the term we discuss and read about the artists style and time period
We are looking forward to doing this fantastic artist study. We hope to have the opportunity to go to the art museum this term and see some of his works. However, there are some wonderful photos of the work of Renoir on Discovery Streaming that we are also viewing in conjunction with our art study.
Do you do an artist study in your school?