Each year, we make these fun and easy applesauce ornaments with the kids. It gives them an opportunity to make their own gifts, which they hand out to friends and loved ones. We also save a few each year to commemorate their current likes and interests. This year, we’re featuring Lego Ninjago and Southwest Airlines…
Cinnamon Applesauce Ornaments
Supplies (we doubled our recipe)
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 5 oz (2 jars) ground cinnamon
- colorful ribbon
- Ninjabread cookie cutters
- Preheat oven to 200°F. Mix applesauce and cinnamon in small bowl until a smooth ball of dough is formed. (You may need use your hands to incorporate all of the cinnamon.)
- Using about 1/4 of the dough at a time, roll dough to 1/4-inch to 1/3-inch thickness between two sheets of plastic wrap. Peel off top sheet of plastic wrap.
- If you can’t find a rolling pin, you can use a quart-sized mason jar in a pinch.
- Cut dough into desired shapes with 2- to 3-inch cookie cutters. Pull away extra dough, then carefully transfer cutout to waxed baking sheet with a spatula.
- Using the spatula, straighten up any sloppy edges around the cutout.
- Make a hole at top of ornament with drinking straw, toothpick, or skewer.
- Bake 2 1/2 hours. Cool ornaments on wire rack.
- Decorate with paint, if desired. Add magazine cutouts with glue. Allow to dry.
- Using a clear spray paint or gloss paint, varnish the ornaments. This is optional, and will make them last longer. If you want that cinnamon smell, skip this step. They won’t last as long, but they’ll smell heavenly!
- Insert ribbon through holes and tie to hang.
Thanks to my Guest Contributor: Yvie is a road-schooling mother of two active boys! While traipsing across the country, she creates Lego-themed school and enjoys meeting up with other families. Find her at Gypsy Road, Instagram, Educents, or on Facebook.
Leave a Reply