We all know that limiting electronics time is important for our kids. In fact, let’s admit it, it’s important for us too.
However, there are times when the kids are bored, you are trying to get things done and you simply can’t think of something for them to do when they come to you with the pleading of some computer time, or game time, or whatever their favorite electronic device is.
Here is a small list of some electronics sidetracks for your kids. Next time they come asking for some additional computer time, ask them to check out the “do this, not electronics” list and see if there is something they can do before they head back to the computer.
- Go on a nature walk as a family (leaf collection, bark rubbings, bird sightings)
- Decorate for the holidays or season.
- Build a Lego city as a family.
- Read a play together.
- Take a bike ride.
- Go Geocaching as a family.
- Make homemade cookies and eat them while playing cards.
- Have the kids put on a talent show (inside) or circus performance (outside)
- Build a bottle rocket or volcano.
- Go bowling or ice skating.
- Have the whole family meal plan together.
- Make an obstacle course or circuit training course in your backyard or garage.
- Create some homemade birthday cards to have on the ready.
- Make some dessert for that evening’s meal.
- Design your dream house on paper or with blocks.
- Build a fort (outside or inside, depending upon the weather).
- Write in a journal.
- Find an instrument you are interested in playing and find easy lessons online.
- Try your hand at origami (see online tutorials or a library book).
- Do some yoga!
What is your favorite electronics sidetrack?